Sewing Rebel

Conservatory = done. 

Thanks to my wonderful mother, on Friday I finished the final stage of the conservatory decor and made my first ever cushion! 

I found the experience thoroughly enjoyable; watching her work, learning tips and surprisingly, lots of shortcuts! I never thought my mum was much of a rebel, but if Patrick, from the Great British Sewing Bee, saw her work he would be utterly appalled! 

So we measured out the fabric, used pins as our guide and started cutting! Gradually, as I cut along this imaginary line the pins got further and further away! Next we set up her vintage Singer machine, which I loved. So retro! Watching her expertly set up the machine reminded me of riding a bike, you never forget! 

Image                                                      Image      

After a few failed attempts at attaching the zip in a straight line the sides were a breeze! When we came to putting the pillow in the cover we soon realised the lady on the market stall was right after all and you don’t need an 18 inch zip for an 18 inch cover! Using a bit of hand stitching and it looks like a thoroughly professional job. The pillows look great and I think it was tied the whole scheme nicely together.

Image                                                                                        Image

And now time to relax! Or more like start saving and planning for the next room.

Advertisements

It’s Arrived!

Finally I’ve made a decision! After trailing the internet and local fabric shops, which resulted in finding a lot of uninspiring fabrics, I’m absolutely chuffed with what arrived this evening!

Recently I acquired two weaker chairs which are destined for our conservatory. The fabric is very faded but still of high quality, so the plan is to dye these and use new material to make some cushions.

Fingers crossed the dying process works but at £5.99 a packet it’s worth a try. This decision was made mainly due to the fact the only fabric I liked was £37.99! Luckily after a quick check on the internet I found it for £25. Understandably, this is ridiculous, but fingers crossed it will be the only expense for the whole room (except paint) and I think it will tie the whole room together.

I Just need to find some free time where I can borrow my mum’s sewing machine and have a go at putting into practise all that I learnt on a recent sewing day. Can’t wait to get started! Here is the beautiful fabric; it’s a Blendworth fabric.

20140226-205221.jpg